container image

Customer Service & Help Lines Open Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Closed Saturday & Sunday,

0800 195 4926

Customer Service & Help Lines Open Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Closed Saturday & Sunday

Calling from a mobile? Please call 0151 647 7556

Motor Excess Insurance


Protect excess claims on your motor insurance policy.            


One aspect of car ownership we all must consider is getting an annual motor insurance policy. A standard feature of compulsory car insurance is having an excess on the policy. This excess amount is the part that the policyholder will contribute to any claim made against the motor insurer.


For example, you have a bump in your motor vehicle, and the claim cost is £2000. If you have an excess on your policy of £500, you will pay this contribution towards the repair cost. This means you pay your excess of £500 first, with the motor insurer paying the remaining £1500 of the claim.


With an excess being a standard feature on your car insurance policy, it makes sense to consider motor excess protection to mitigate these potential costs.     Motor excess insurance cover


What is Motor Excess Insurance from Easy Gap?


Simply put, a Motor Excess Insurance policy can allow you to claim back the excess you have contributed towards a successful claim on your comprehensive motor insurance policy, subject to terms and conditions being met.


So, for example, if you have an accident in your vehicle and the estimated repair bill through your insurer is £3500, your motor insurer will ask you to pay your car excess contribution towards the bill. Let's say the policy excess amount is £750 between your compulsory and voluntary excess (more on those later).


This means that you will have to pay the £750 car excess set in your motor insurance first, with the car insurance picking up the rest of the bill, in this case, £2750.


However, if you have a car excess insurance policy for the £750 you have paid, you can send in your invoice and receipt and claim back your £750 against your motor part excess policy cover.


 Types of Excess on your motor insurance


Your motor insurance company can ask you to pay for two types of excess on motor vehicles.


  1. Compulsory excess is an amount your insurance insists you pay for any repair/write-off or claim.
  2. Voluntary excess is the amount you choose and is on top of any compulsory amount your insurance company has insisted upon.


Increasing your voluntary excess can sometimes make a massive difference to your motor insurance premium cost. Even a small increase to provide a higher voluntary excess amount can save hundreds of pounds depending on driving history, age, claims history, etc.


After all, you are committing to pay the first part of any claim. This lowers your motor insurance companies' risk, which can, in turn, mean a lower annual premium.


So the temptation can be to have a high excess to reduce your annual motor insurance premium.


The downside is that higher excess charges mean you will have to pay more each time you make a claim on your motor insurance policy.


 The other important thing to consider is that if you take our motor excess cover to protect against these charges on an insurance claim, you have to pay your excess on the motor insurance claim to claim it back.


What do we mean by that?                                                     Motor Excess Insurance quote


Let's say you raise the voluntary excess to £750 and have a compulsory excess of £250, giving you an overall excess of £1000 on your motor insurance policy. If you have a claim following a minor accident, and the repair cost is only £800, your motor insurer will not pay out. This is because you have not exceeded the excess amount of your motor insurance.


In this instance, you would have to pay the £800 cost of the repair with no contribution from your motor insurer. As you have not claimed on your motor insurance and have not paid any excess charges, you cannot make a claim on your motor excess insurance policy.


Key requirements to make a claim on your Motor Excess Insurance policy

  1. You have a successful claim on your fully comprehensive motor insurance.
  2. You pay the excess on your motor insurance claim.
  3. You can claim back your excess payment from your motor excess insurance coverage.


Frequently asked questions on Motor Excess Insurance.


Which type of vehicles can you take Motor Excess Protection for?


Easy Gap can offer private motor excess insurance cover on the following types of vehicles:

  • cars
  • motorbikes
  • light commercial vehicles below 3500kgs
  • minibuses below 19 seats

motor excess protectionWhich types of vehicle use can be covered by Motor Excess Protection from EasyGap?


Vehicle uses can include:

  • Social, Domestic and Pleasure
  • Class 1 business use and commuting


Which types of vehicle uses cannot be covered by Motor Excess Protection from EasyGap?


Examples include

  • Hire and reward
  • Taxi
  • Private Hire
  • Courier
  • Delivery
  • Driving school


What type of claims cannot be covered by a Motor excess insurance policy by Easy Gap?


Examples include where you have a separate glass repair cover with your motor insurance. If you are charged an excess for glass claims, these cannot be claimed back on your motor excess insurance policy.